The Coon Rapids Police Reserve Unit consists of well-trained and dedicated volunteers who are focused on serving the needs of the community. Coon Rapids Police Reserve officers assist the Coon Rapids Police Department throughout the city in staffing and performing many non-enforcement functions.
Non-enforcement duties include but are not limited to: 4th of July events, Epiphany Springfest and Coon Rapids High School football games. The Coon Rapids Police Reserve Unit also assists in emergencies and natural disasters in the community and around Minnesota.
The requirements to join the reserve unit are:
- Must be at least 18 years of age and a United States citizen.
- A valid driver's license is required to drive squad cars. A background check will be completed on all applicants including law enforcement contacts, driver's license history and criminal background.
- All reserve officers are required to attend seven out of ten meetings each year.
Meetings are held on the second Sunday of each month, except July and August.
- All reserve officers are required to volunteer a minimum of forty hours per year at events in the community.
More information about the Reserve unit can be found in this document, Coon Rapids Police Reserve Unit (PDF).
All reserves must complete the following training:
- CPR/First Aid certification and must attend annual refresher classes
- Defensive tactics training and must attend annual refresher classes
- Successfully complete the Field Training Program
- Successfully complete the Reserve Academy held during the months of March and April each year, usually one evening per week
Reserves must also follow all department policies and procedures, this includes grooming and uniform requirements, ethics, etc.
How to Apply
If you are interested in joining our Police Reserve program, please check for postings on our employment page. (Applicants must pass a background check to be considered).